How do I get my driver’s license back?

As people so often hear from attorneys, the answer depends on a lot of different factors. These factors include: the reason for losing your license in the first place; whether your license was restricted, suspended, or revoked; how long you have been without a license; and many other considerations. Generally speaking, a restriction or suspension… Read More »

I have lots of photographs and other information stored in my email, Facebook and other social media sites. What happens to that information when I die?

Great question. Until recently, you couldn’t access a social media account without a login and password for each account. That is changing, and many of the social media sites have their own rules about accessing your account if you are incapacitated or after you die. But the rules are inconsistent. To remedy this issue, the… Read More »

My parents own their home and want to stay there, but they haven’t saved much money and are having a hard time paying their bills. Is a reverse mortgage a good option?

Under the right circumstances a reverse mortgage can be a good financial tool to provide another source of income for folks over 62. Reverse mortgages are paid as a lump sum of cash, through regular payments, or a combination of both. How your parents receive the money and how they spend it is totally up… Read More »

Should My Child Support Change?

Circumstances in every family change over time and often those changes affect child support. The Child Support you pay or receive can be affected by changes in income, overnights, daycare costs or health insurance costs. At Matecun, Thomas & Olson we offer a free Child Support Review to determine whether the child support you are… Read More »

What is included in Child Support?

Question: I pay about $3,000 in child support each month and my oldest just started college. I pay $1,000 per month to the school toward tuition and room and board. Can I deduct this payment from the child support and pay only $2000? Answer: In Michigan the answer is no in most cases. Because the… Read More »

I’m getting married for the second time and both my new husband and I have adult children. Is there anything different I need to do with my estate planning?

Yes. We see more and more “blended families” (marriages where each spouse has children from a prior relationship). You must take special steps to make sure you take care of each other, but also provide for your children after you are gone (if that’s your goal). This can be quite complicated. For example, what if… Read More »