Modifying parenting time can be very difficult. There are specific statutes and case law regarding the criteria for modifying parenting time. There are two steps to modifying parenting time. First, you must show that there is a change in circumstances since the entry of the last Court Order. Then you must show that the change you propose makes sense for the child. There is a broad, but somewhat elusive definition of “change in circumstances” for the purpose of modifying parenting time. The specific facts of your case will determine whether the change you request will be granted. Normal life changes like extra-curricular activities may be enough. A key consideration of the Court will be whether the proposed change modifies the established custodial environment. Speaking to a qualified and experienced family law attorney is a good first step in determining whether your situation warrants a Motion to Modify Parenting Time.  Email me at [email protected] for a free consultation.


Michael Olson is a partner with the law firm of Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC in Howell.  He answers readers’ questions on legal matters affecting individuals, their families and their businesses.  Email questions to [email protected], or if your question is urgent, call (517) 548-7400.  The information in this column is not intended as legal advice.

Post a Reply