You should contact an attorney immediately as you will probably need to file a lawsuit as soon as possible to protect your rights. Under the no-fault act, there is a one year statute of limitation, and, more importantly in your case, something known as the one year back rule. If you notified your insurance company in writing about the accident or your insurance company made a payment within one year, you can start a lawsuit within one year of the most recent expense incurred. However, you are barred from recovering no-fault benefits (e.g. your medical bills) that were incurred more than one year before the date the lawsuit was started.

This is tricky stuff. If you think that your insurance company has failed to pay for your benefits, contact me immediately. I can help you. And remember, you pay no attorney fee unless we win.

Daniel W. Mabis is with the law firm of Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC in Howell. He answers readers’ questions on legal matters affecting individuals, their families and their businesses. Email questions to [email protected], or if your question is urgent, call (517) 548-7400. The information in this column is not intended as legal advice.

Post a Reply