First you must respond to the lawsuit or the neighbor can get a Default Judgment against you and anyone else who does not file a response. I recommend you and your other neighborhood friends all get together and hire one lawyer to represent all of you; it’s much less expensive that way. What the one neighbor is doing is attempting to claim title to the property by what is called Adverse Possession, sometimes called “squatters rights.” This can be difficult to prove but it can be done. Call me today for your free consultation!

John W. Drury is with the law firm of Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC in Howell. He answers readers’ questions on legal matters affecting individuals, their families and their businesses. Email questions to [email protected], or if your question is urgent, call (517) 548-7400. The information in this column is not intended as legal advice.

Post a Reply