Question: I hit a patch of ice and slid off the road into a ditch. I wasn’t able to get my car out of the ditch until the next day. A few days later I received a ticket in the mail for failing to report an accident. How much could a ticket like this cost me? Is it worth hiring an attorney?

Answer: The short answer is “YES”. Whenever you get a ticket you should at least consult with an attorney. There may be significant fines, costs and points associated with the ticket that you haven’t even thought about. In the case of “Failing to Report an Accident” there is a lot more at stake than just a fine. This ticket is actually a Misdemeanor which could land you in jail for up to 90 days or put you on probation. That is in addition to fines, costs and points. Now if that wasn’t enough, you may have to pay the Secretary of State a driver’s responsibility fee for two years. My advice to anyone that has been issued a ticket, or charged with a crime, is to call me for a FREE CONSULTATION before you do anything. I will advise you of all the potential consequences and assist you in reaching the best possible resolution. If you, or someone you know, has received a ticket or has been charged with a crime, call me today. I can help.

Paige Favio is with the law firm of Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC in Howell. She answers readers’ questions on legal matters affecting individuals, their families and their businesses. Email questions to [email protected], or if your question is urgent, call (517) 548-7400. The information in this column is not intended as legal advice.

Post a Reply