I was t-boned by a car that ran a stop sign. The driver of the other car was a teenager and did not own the vehicle, his parents did. Can I sue his parents for my injuries?


Yes, Michigan has what is known as the owner liability act. Under this law, the owner of a car is liable for any injuries caused by the driver of the car if the car was being driven with the owner’s consent or knowledge. Knowledge or consent is presumed if the car is driven by the father, mother, sibling, child or other immediate family member of the owner. The owner does not have to be negligent, but is responsible by the simple fact that he or she owns the vehicle. Please call or email me today if you would like some help with your claim. I offer a free consultation.

Daniel W. Mabis is with the law firm of Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC in Howell. He answers readers’ questions on legal matters affecting individuals, their families and their businesses. Email questions to [email protected], or if your question is urgent, call (517) 548-7400. The information in this column is not intended as legal advice.

Post a Reply