Question:  My son is leaving for college in a couple weeks.  Is there any specific legal planning he needs now that he is 18 years old?



Yes.  Your son is now a “legal adult” under Michigan law. You can’t make financial or medical decisions automatically for him anymore.  Also, you can’t access his financial accounts or medical records.

It takes just a little time and effort to put together a plan that will make life more convenient for both of you and will allow you to step in if there is an emergency.  Every eighteen-year-old should have at least a basic financial power of attorney, a patient advocate designation (medical directive) and a HIPAA authorization (to allow access to medical information).  We have a “College Planning Package” available if your son would like to get his legal affairs in order before he leaves for college.  You can email me at [email protected] or call me at (517) 548-7400.

Glenn Matecun is a partner with the law firm of Matecun, Thomas & Olson in Howell.  He is one of only 19 Certified Elder Law Attorneys in the State of Michigan and his law practice focuses on estate planning, elder law, asset protection and senior Veterans’ benefits.  Listen to Glenn on Senior Law Radio, WMUZ 103.5 FM, every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. Email questions to [email protected] or, if your question is urgent, call Glenn at (517) 548-7400.  Visit us at to learn more.  The information in this column is not intended as legal advice.

Post a Reply