Your main goal should be to get the best possible care for your mother, whether at home or outside the home. Home care 24/7 is very expensive, likely even more costly than having her move to assisted living or a nursing home. Because your mother was married to a Veteran, she may be eligible for a benefit commonly called “Aid & Attendance”. This would provide up to $1,153 per month for her care at home or outside the home.

If she needs skilled nursing, nursing home Medicaid may be her only other source of payment for long-term care. There are several strategies that would allow her to “spend down” her assets and also possibly do some “gifting”. This must be done is a very specific way so as to not disqualify her from Medicaid. Also, if she ultimately qualifies for Medicaid, you want to make sure to protect her home so the State of Michigan does not make a claim against it after she passes away. Call or email me so we can ask you a few questions and we can talk about the details. The consultation is free.


Glenn Matecun is a partner with the law firm of Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC in Howell.  He is an attorney focusing on estate planning, elder law and senior Veterans’ benefits, and answers readers’ questions on legal matters affecting individuals, their families and their businesses.  Listen to Glenn on Senior Law Radio, WMUZ 103.5 FM, every Saturday from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Email questions to [email protected], or if your question is urgent, call (517) 548-7400.  Visit us at  The information in this column is not intended as legal advice.


Post a Reply