I hear this all the time. If your ex simply refuses to abide by the terms of the Judgment, whether it be regarding personal property, retirement division, sale of real estate or many other issues, you need to file a Motion with the Court. You can do that on your own but I recommend that you hire an experienced family law lawyer to help, especially if you do not know how these issues work procedurally. The bottom line is that you are absolutely entitled to force your ex to comply with the Judgment and, unless he has a reasonable excuse, the Judge may order him to pay your attorney fees. Hiring an experienced, local lawyer can help you do this because we know how the system works and we know how to properly navigate the system. My best advice to you is to set up a consultation with me and we can discuss a strategy to meet your goals, even if that strategy is that you file your own Motion and represent yourself.

Michael Olson is a partner with the law firm of Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC in Howell.  He answers readers’ questions on legal matters affecting individuals, their families and their businesses.  Email questions to [email protected], or if your question is urgent, call (517) 548-7400.  The information in this column is not intended as legal advice.



Post a Reply