Yes. Under a recently passed Michigan law, a disabled veteran who was honorably discharged may be exempt from paying property taxes on his or her real estate. As I am sure you can imagine, this could be a significant amount of money. Furthermore, if the disabled veteran dies, the exemption may continue for his or her unremarried spouse. The newly passed law defines a “disabled veteran” and, like may laws, this can be confusing. In addition, applications for the tax exemption have to be made in a specific way which can be complicated. Because of my personal experience with family in the military, I have taken particular interest in assisting active duty personnel, Reserves and Veterans with all of their legal needs. There are lots of programs like the tax exemption and many services available to Veterans and their families that people simply are not aware of. I am and I can help you find those programs and services and assist you in making applying for them so call me today.

John W. Drury is with the law firm of Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC in Howell. She answers readers’ questions on legal matters affecting individuals, their families and their businesses. Email questions to [email protected], or if your question is urgent, call (517) 548-7400. The information in this column is not intended as legal advice.

Post a Reply