Your divorce is over; there are certain things that you should keep in mind. Custody, Parenting Time and Child Support are always modifiable if there are changes in circumstances. This means that either party may ask the Court for modification. Modifications can be difficult to do on your own so you should contact a lawyer if you think a change is justified.

Assets and Debts have been divided by the Judgment. You may need a Qualified Domestic Relations Order to divide retirement assets. You may also need to transfer vehicle titles, change beneficiaries, change insurance coverage, change tax information or notify creditors. Some of these things are easy to do and some are very difficult. You should consult with a lawyer to review what needs to be done.

Call me and I can help you navigate the process and help you start your new life out with as few complications as possible.

Michael Olson is a partner with the law firm of Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC in Howell. He answers readers’ questions on legal matters affecting individuals, their families and their businesses. Email questions to [email protected], or if your question is urgent, call (517) 548-7400. The information in this column is not intended as legal advice.

Post a Reply