YES! It is true that a Judgment of Divorce must be enforced within a specific time period. The “Statute of Limitations” bars legal action after a certain amount of time. For example, in most personal injury cases you have 3 years to sue and in most contracts cases you have 6 years to sue. To enforce a Judgment of Divorce, you have 10 years to sue. Under the right circumstances it is possible to extend the limit for an additional 10 years. Securing an extension is complicated. Do not take a chance losing what is owed to you by not doing what you need to do in time. Call me today and I can help you sort out your options. If you do nothing you may never get your money and there may be no consequences to your ex for not paying.

Michael Olson is a partner with the law firm of Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC in Howell. He answers readers’ questions on legal matters affecting individuals, their families and their businesses. Email questions to [email protected], or if your question is urgent, call (517) 548-7400. The information in this column is not intended as legal advice.

Post a Reply